Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Student's Contributions

This past week has forced me to take a closer look at the students that I will one day teacher versus my job as a teacher. In the past I have gotten a bit wrapped up in the skills that I will have to learn and what my responsibilities in the classroom will be. I have now realized that there is a great deal of mutual learning that goes on in the classroom, that I am not required to have all the answers (phew). Students have just as much to offer as teachers and I must not kid myself by thinking that I will be the only one bringing anything to the table.

The TED Talks video that was posted to the wiki really made me think about how much kids have to offer and how much growth our society has gone through due to the actions of children. First of all, Adora, the girl that gave the presentation, was absolutely brilliant both in her delivery and the content. She made a number of strong statements that got me thinking about this topic. One thing that she said that really caught my attention was that “the learning between teachers and students should be reciprocal”. I would agree with her completely. While it will be crucial for me to move my class in a progressive manner and help them to understand content and gain knowledge, I also think that students have such a fresh look on things and often times this can provide great insight and understanding for adults.

I would argue that although this sounds great and that teachers should just listen to their students more, I think there are definitely habits that stop this from occurring as often as it should. As adults we often think that we have seen more, experienced more and are better educated than children and therefore know best. I would also argue that it can feel a bit uncomfortable to have a conversation where the adult does more listening than talking. As I reflect on my own experience with children, I realize that when I have been in a discussion with a child on whatever topic, they usually bring up a point that I had not thought of or found a connection that I had missed. Although it may be difficult at times to remember to close my mouth and listen to my students, I will strive to do this throughout my teaching career.

Now to shift gears a bit, there were a number of points that were made in the text that related to this topic as well as brought up new ideas for me. I became a bit contradicted with the part of the reading where the author lists all of the skills that he lacks and discusses how he would feel if school administration created a curriculum to correct these deficiencies in him. While I completely agree that not all students are going to be interested in all topics, and each student will have unique abilities as well as likes and dislikes, I would also argue that some skills are simply important for everyone to develop. I would also point out that although Ayers makes a good point, he also stretches the argument a bit.

I assume that school administrations as well as teachers are not expecting that kids learn everything about everything but rather they learn information and skills that will be the most beneficial in their lives. I would go as far as to say that it would be beneficiary to all kids that they hold a bit of knowledge surrounding math and also have the ability to read as well as other skills. Now, am I arguing for standardized testing and strict classroom content, no, however I am suggesting that all students should be required to gain particular abilities that can support a flourishing society and nation. I am assuming, due to my contradicting feelings and arguments here, that this could be one of my larger challenges in the classroom.

I also see time management being a difficult thing to deal with in a classroom. Not only dealing with making time for all lessons and subjects, but more importantly making time for each of my students. I was really interested in the part of the reading by Ayers where he talks about focusing on each student individually and writing notes on his findings. I could see how narrowing my attention on each student individually would allow me to have a better understanding of them as a person and their role in the classroom as a learner. I think that if each teacher could make time to complete this exercise they would have a much better understanding of what direction they need to head in, what issues will arise, and how to best deal with each student. Often I think had my teachers known just known me better as a person and discovered my talents, I may have liked school much more and excelled further. One more thing to add to my list of goals as a teacher…

Up to this point in my progress toward becoming a teacher, I am finding that I contradict a lot of my arguments and continue to struggle with understanding how I am going to organize all my thoughts into a plan for teaching. I am beginning to notice that just loving kids is not enough, nor is just being really smart, there has to be complete balance and dedication. One of my goals as a teacher has always been to have an impact on all of my students, even the ones that are not my favorite. As a student myself, I have felt what it is like to be the student that is behind and misunderstood and I will strive to accept all students and hope to have an impact on everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!

    So who decides what kids really need to know and be able to do to be successful? And are those the things that can be measured on multiple choice tests? Those are really central questions - creativity, for example, is essential in almost every field now, and many kid who are really good at taking tests are really stumped when faced with open-ended challenges... SO yes, there are common things that everyone should learn and be able to do.

    I just wonder if we're teaching those things!

    What would be on your list?

    We'll continue talk all year about ways to better know children. You won't have it nailed by next June, but you'll be on the right path!

    ReplyDelete