I have realized after this initial class and reading Ayres, CH.1 that dedication is critical. I think that it is crucial that teachers, including myself, have passion for children and teaching. Passion is crucial when you think of how long the education process is and how many obstacles have to be conquered. I can honestly say that passion is not lacking in my desire to become a teacher, mentor, advocate, and friend to my future students. I am constantly amazed at how intelligent children are, even at a very young age, and how eager children are to learn. I am the most amazed at children who may not always fit in or do not know the most information but have very different skills to the environment that are equally important. The story in the reading that brought out a bit of emotion for me was the story about Jose, the skateboarder. I think that often times children like Jose are over looked and get lost in the fast paced classroom, however, like in Jose’s case, these children often times have a unique set of skills or views that can be very beneficial to everyone. It is often times stories of less fortunate, miss fit, and slower children that remind me of my passion to teach.
It has been my own experiences in school that has ultimately shaped my attitudes and feelings regarding schooling and education. I feel very fortunate to have had a very successful education thus far. The elementary school that I attended was in a middle to lower class neighborhood and was very diverse in population. In middle school I transferred to a higher class neighborhood and remained there until graduation. Throughout my education I had a number of great teachers and a few less than enthusiastic teachers. I remember a few specific things that my teacher said to me and the support I felt that helped me succeed as well as the lack of recognition and the immense pressure that made me want to give up all together. I also remember the amount of pressure that was put on me outside of the classroom that affected my learning. One unique circumstance for me was that I was able to experience a school with little funding as well as a school that was well off financially. I am very aware of the advantages and disadvantages that both of these schools offered me. I have come to understand that not only will this program and my previous education help me with my classroom, but equally important are my experiences in the classroom as a young student.
One significant quote that I pulled from the reading was the part that talks about why Ayres chose teaching. He explains that he chose teaching “to share my life with young people, to shape and touch the future” (Ayres, P.5). This statement holds very true for the way I feel about my life as a teacher. Not only am I excited to share knowledge with children that will shape their future but also spend my life surrounded by children that will shape my future. I know that children have more to offer the world that any book or study could explain. I also feel strongly about children’s desire to be heard and understood and I am excited to spend my life dedicated to listening and accepting the thoughts and views of my students. I have come to the realization that if everyone would stop and listen to what children had to say, we would all greatly benefit. There is no other being that is so imaginative, creative, passionate, loving, and less understood than children, and it is up to us to help guide them in a direction for growth and development that will eventually give back to our future.
In conclusion, after my first day in class and now that I have completed the first chapter in To Teach, my overall feeling about teaching and working with students is still excitement. I realize that I am only at the very beginning of my education and am very anxious to find out more about how children behave and how to effectively teach material that will allow each child to grow to their fullest potential. The main point from the Ayres reading is that it is crucial to become aware that a teacher’s dedication to teaching can ultimately impact the future for the teacher, the students, and society as a whole. Also, all children are different and each has their own attributions to make to the classroom and to their environment. I can only hope that as my education continues, and as I gain more experience with kids in a classroom, some of these abstract ideas and concepts will make more sense and become more organized in my thinking of schooling and education.
One thing that I must keep in mind is that teaching is not all butterflies and fairy tales; in fact there is a much harsher side and very difficult circumstances that will challenge my passion for teaching. Ultimately, I realize that it is up to me to keep my passion for children and the future of our population in the forefront of my thinking while riding the rollercoaster that is the education system.
I hope that it's still excitement that you're feeling! We temper excitement with excellent preparation for all that you have ahead of you -- when excitement along won't be enough to carry you through.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, this year is all about taking these abstract ideas into actual day to day practice and to prepare you to continue to grow as a teacher ...
And yes, the challenges are where you grow yourself as a teacher -- and meeting those challenges means that all kids eventually have better schools.
You're exactly where you should be right now. And you're clearly on your way, and I look forward to many more conversations this quarter and beyond!
Jane