This quarter is off to a great start. I have begun working with my 4th grade main placement class again and am finding that the material I have been learning about in my classes can finally be put to the test. However, I am finding that there are many more elements to running a successful class than I initially recognized. I am discovering that one of the most challenging things to do effectively in the classroom is to teach in a way that ensures all students success. When it comes to the needs of my students I am finding that differentiated instruction is the most crucial aspect of a number of student’s success. This quarter, we have been given an iPod touch in which we are learning and exploring different was of incorporating technology into our classrooms. I have just begun working with this as a tool for differentiating instruction but am already finding many helpful uses for the iPod touch.
One of the students that I have been working with a lot is an ELL student and therefore requires differentiated instruction. On one occasion I allowed this student to use my iPod touch, the iTranslate app, during silent reading time to look up words that he was not familiar with. Both he and I found this to be a very helpful app on the iPod touch. He was able to read with more understanding and when I asked him if he liked using the iPod for this reason he told me it was fun. The only problem that arose from this situation was that this student asks every day during silent reading to use the iPod touch and is a bit against using the translating book that the teacher got as a resource for him.
One other situation in which the iPod touch came into use was for my student who is a bit behind in her multiplication facts. She has flash cards to study with but rarely stays on task while studying them. There was an app I found on the iPod that helped students work on their math facts. This app was great for this student as well as other students who have trouble focusing on studying their math facts. By having students study their math facts through technology it makes their learning more relatable to their everyday lives.
Another tool on the iPod touch that I have not had any of my students use, but am eager to try out is the recording element. There are a few students in my class that are exceptionally good at writing. I thought one helpful use of the recorder would be to have the students read their story and record the reading. They could then play the recording back and listen to their story. In our class, when the students finish their stories they have the option to read their story to a partner and receive feedback. I think using the recorder would be another good way to allow the students to hear their story and make changes.
Overall, I have found that through the iPod touch I have been able to add differentiate instruction to my lessons in a fun, practical way. I am excited to see what else I can do with my iPod touch to help differentiate instruction. I strongly believe that by creating a fun learning environment that reaches students at their level of familiarity entices students to become actively engaged. So far, the iPod touch is proving to the link between students and learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment